Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Book 'em

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears... Not that I have anything important to say, but felt the need to quote some Shakespeare in effort to add a bit of literary credibility to my otherwise futile attempts at recording the random and often meaningless events that find their way into my life. So, having nothing to say right now, onto the next topic...

In the event you're on the prowl for a good book, here is a short list from my personal library:

  • "Naked in Baghdad" by Anne Garrels
  • "The Great Transformation - The world in the time of Buddha, Socrates, Confucius and Jeremiah" by Karen Armstrong (I have actually just started this one, but am already loving it)
  • "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire
  • "Autobiography of a Face" by Lucy Grealy
  • "The Last Day of a Condemned Man" by Victor Hugo
  • "Wind, Sand and Stars" by Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry
I am not one of those people that can just read for the sake of reading. I get very bored if I am not learning something. Of course, there are a few exceptions to that rule and one of those is David Sedaris. "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "Dress Your Family in Courduroy and Denim" are great and a good laugh.

Today I spoke with a very dear friend of mine in Tel Aviv and I am considering heading there for a week or so in September. Until now, Tel Aviv has not been playing host to any incoming missles, but that can, of course, change at any time. I did just reassure my mom that I am at a safe distance from Lebanon and Israel, so if I go, will probably keep it a secret until I am back home. The same thing I did when I went bungee jumping the first time. But then again, I think my mom is pretty used to me being adventurous and has been a pretty good sport... but then, while I have gone into some hostile areas, I have never been in a warzone before. That, as the wizard said, is a horse of a different color.

Well, that's it for now... Time to shower, shampoo and shine for my friend Marco's birthday drinks... Hopefully I will return with all sort of stories of scandal and bad conduct.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment