Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Bits of Bears

How many nuns can you fit into a phone booth?

That seemed to be the game we were playing tonight. It was the occasion of Marco's pre-birthday birthday drinks. The guy has no sense of space or people or how the two relate to each other. Actually, while it pains me to say this, it wasn't entirely his fault. The past weeks have been sunny and hot and then in a cruel joke by Mother Nature, the weather changes suddenly from one day to the next, the temperature drops by half (seriously) and the skies are grey and rainy and suddenly it feels more like November than the beginning of August. Perhaps this is just to get me ready for the perma-frost that I will be traversing when I take that train ride. Getting back tot he party on a postage stamp, it was quite fun and a nice mix of people that until recently Marco has kept pretty separate due to personal circumstances. I must say, I like his new friend/boyfriend/paramour/whatever and have decided and also told Marco that if things don't work out between them for whatever reason, I will get rid of Marco and keep Nick as friend. He's just so much more fun.

I have pretty much decided to do nothing for my birthday (that doesn't mean I am eschewing gifts) and just have a low key evening, perhaps sharing it only with Anderson Cooper by way of his new book (I am not so secretly in love with him, but for some reason, he never calls - I'm not really sure what that means). I don't mind getting older at all, and am actually looking forward to next year's birthday when my 30s will be a thing of the past and I will have a new, clean set of numbers to work with. Sheryl Crow says that 40 is the new 20 and Oprah has said that 50 is the new 30, so perhaps by the time I am 50, it will be the new black...

Speaking of black, it is a sad and dark day. I have just seen the news that a Doberman Pinscher named Barney ripped the head off a brown stuffed bear named Mabel, once owned by a young Elvis Presley, leaving fluffy stuffing and bits of bear's limbs and head on the floor. In fact, the dog didn't stop there... it ruined approximately $900,000 worth of teddie bears. The owner of course was not amused, but who knows, perhaps Mabel, like Elvis will start appearing in refrigerators around the world. I for one will think twice before vacuuming up that stray piece of lint...

No comments:

Post a Comment