Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Love

I have heard it said that love is a many splendored thing, it lifts us up where we belong and that it is all we need. I had just given up on the very idea of love, said goodbye to it and washed all love related debris off my hands, when something happen that would once again make a firm believer out of me. It all happened quite unexpectedly, in the most unlikely of places. I feel the need to share this touching and highly personal experience with all of you.

I was walking down the street, minding my own business as usual, whistling a little tune as one does when one is walking along absorbed in one’s own world, when I came across a scene of star-crossed lovers. I glanced around to make sure I was not on the set of yet another Baz Luhrmann film. It wouldn’t be the first time I accidentally stole the show from someone. Yes, that is the real reason why Miss Kidman and I are not on speaking terms, but don't want to wallow in gossipy stories.

There on the street stood our heroine. Her skirt and hair flowing in the gentle breeze while the last rays of sun softly kissed her cheeks giving her the unmistakable glow of a woman in love. She stood on her toes, she waved and she blew kisses, she mouthed “I love you” as the tears welled up in her eyes. And there he was, inside the red brick building waving to his beloved on the street below, lit from behind, a silhouette of heartfelt emotion. I grabbed my iPod and picked out an appropriate Mariah song and watched in jealous awe as they lovingly made gestures of affection for each other, separated now only by the bars over the tiny little jail windows.

Ah love, it does the heart good.

No comments:

Post a Comment