Thursday, January 04, 2007

PostSecret

I have just finished reading through one of the most amazing, unique and moving books I think I have ever come across, thanks to Garad finding it in a store in Brussels. The book is titled "PostSecret" by Frank Warren. The idea is simple, original and the results amazing. The invitation is to anonymously write down one secret on a postcard and send it in. The secret can be anything, a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, etc., the only requirement is that it has to be something that has never been shared with anyone before. Some people used bought postcards, others made their own or used photographs. They are written in pen, ink, typed, cut out letters or words from magazines, crayon. Some are funny, some are sad, some inspire anger, some hope. It is nothing less than a snapshop of human emotions and dreams that have been achieved, missed, lost or forgotten.

I was surprised to see so much of myself in the pages. So many of my thoughts, fears, desires and feelings were right there on the page, in other peoples' handwriting and suddenly I feel a connection with the nameless and faceless people who so accurately described me, perhaps more honestly than I can myself.

There is a website at PostSecret Blog where you can see some of the postcards, some of the feedback from others and instructions on where and how to submit your own secret, which I just may do. And I highly recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment