Thursday, January 18, 2007

24

As I approach the last 24 hours here in the Netherlands, I find myself getting quite stressed. Yesterday I finally managed to get my visa and then had to have 3 vaccinations (Hepatitis A, Tetanus and Tyhpoid) so that I can come back with all my limbs attached to my body… Wouldn’t want to leave any vital organs behind. Now it is down to packing, doing any last minute shopping for things I need to make sure I have with me… Sun block, mosquito repellent with Deet, vitamins, Gillette blades, that kind of thing.

Tonight is my last night here and not sure how I want to spend it. Part of me wants to see people and part of me wants to be alone. I have to be in the office for a last handover of projects and a going away drink and then the new adventure begins. I haven’t slept well in over a week. Even with a sleeping pill, I only managed 4 hours and last night was a complete waste of a pillow as my head was just swarming with thoughts about what I need to do, should do, what could go wrong, etc. You would think I was getting married, but even when I did that, I was totally calm. I think it is just that I have not had time to let the reality sink in and I know as soon as I step off that plane tomorrow night, it is going to be an assault on the senses. I am just hoping that a car is arranged to take me to my new flat.

Yes, I will be living in a flat there with a few other people… How many, I don’t know, but they will all be colleagues so that means being on my best behavior. Perhaps it will be a sort of advertising version of Big Brother and we will get into all sorts of fights where we will hurl insults at each other and pick sides to gang up on someone and make them miserable…
I have been studying the Lonely Planet for Delhi and Rajasthan so I can make sure I get to take in plenty of local culture and festivals. It looks like the first one on the agenda will be the Elephant Festival in Jaipur in March. I think for the first weeks, I will focus on getting settled in, familiar with the expat community there and hopefully start taking some yoga courses… Well, I’ll keep you all posted…

In the meantime, here are a few pics I took on my last trip to India that I really like…




No comments:

Post a Comment