Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Crikey!

I get complaint emails when I write anything serious on my blog but I just need to vent a bit here...

One thing that really gets on my nerves is when things get blown out of proportion by the media and the public feeds right into it. Case in point: the death of Steve Irwin, aka the Crocodile Hunter. I feel for his wife and having lost a parent, I feel for his children, and I find it all just a touch overdone. Everyday, people that have selflessly devoted their lives to helping others die without so much as leaving a blip on the radar screens of the press. Everyday, innocent people are killed because a president lied, a government altered facts and sent troops to invade a country to find those non-existent WMD. Approximately every 3 seconds a faceless and nameless child dies of hunger. Is even the tiniest bit of perspective when it comes to prioritising what matters too much to ask for? Why does the fact that we know someone's name make it so much more tragic when they die? It just drives me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment