Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dr. Manish Gupta to the Rescue

Every morning on my way to work, I end up stuck in traffic just like every other person in Delhi. And after having sat in traffic in Los Angeles, New York, London, Amsterdam, Milan, Barcelona, Tel Aviv and Beijing, I can honestly say that there is no traffic like New Delhi traffic. Except for maybe Bombay traffic, but that is a different story all together. If the past year has taught me anything, it is that Delhiites are professionals when it comes to creating jams and pure traffic pandemonium. Not that I can really complain as I am normally only twenty minutes of traffic between work and home, a time frame that can triple if there has been a bit of monsoon passing through town.


And every morning I pass my time by either posting Tweets on Twitter or more likely just checking out the scene from the streets, peering into cars, making up stories in my head about the people in the car next to me and sometimes feigning sleep in the usually unsuccessful attempt at keeping street vendors from knocking on my window selling their wares of the day.

So today I was checking out the sights and sounds on the street that runs between my house and office when I found myself stopped in front of a sign that has always intrigued me. I first noticed it over a year ago when I first moved to Delhi and it never fails to conjure a sense of wonder and inquisitive curiosity in me. It is the sign for Dr. Manish Gupta’s clinic for skin, hair, nail, sex disorder, laser and cosmetic surgery. It's all right there, listed on the sign in bright red letters.

Normally when I look at that sign, the first question that comes to mind is “which of these specialties does not belong in this list?” But this morning I looked at it from a different angle and realized it is the perfect combination. I mean if you are going to have blemish-free skin, a to-die-for do, cat-like nails and corrective cosmetic surgery to snag a potential mate or play date, then it only goes to reason that you would want to ensure that all the fun parts are working properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment