Saturday, July 21, 2007

New Friends

What a weekend, and it is only half over. And not at all like I had anticipated or expected. Instead of being locked in a room reading Harry Potter, Manuel and I packed up our belongings and moved to a new flat in New Friends Colony that is located right near the Ivy and is above all things, Q-U-I-E-T! I have spent the last 6 months living with my boss, with whom I get along great. But suddenly it was me, Manuel, my boss, his wife, two children and a cat named Michael. I know, and agree that Michael is no name for a cat, but it wasn't my doing, so fling your arrows of disapproval elsewhere. Yes, I moved into a new place with air-conditioning that works. The house in Defence Colony had only decorative air-conditioning. Almost as though they couldn't find the right sized windows and so as an acceptable alternative, stuffed one of those puppies in there to close off the opening. So here I sit, all cool and cozy listening to the sound of silence. No screams, no cries, nothing. I am just hoping it lasts. I don't normally believe in signs, but I am taking yesterday's monsoon rains very personal.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood which I spent inside stuffing every bag and suitcase I had with stuff. It's amazing how much I have already managed to accumulate, and that's just the books and magazines. So just as my driver pulled up, down came the rain, and when it rains, it pours. And pours. And pours.

It wasn't until my last belonging was moved into the new place that the rain suddenly stopped, the clouds parted and I was once again walking on sunshine. I wasn't sure if that was the universe's way of telling me not to move, or if it was nature's way of washing away the debris of weeks past, cleansing the world for a better tomorrow for yours truly. I guess time will tell.

But who has time to think about stuff like that when confronted with 2, not 1, but 2 televisions that work. Like the air-conditioner, the television in Defence Colony was there only to collect the dust that would be forever ignored by the maid. I have no idea what she did with that broom and rag, but I don't think she ever put any of her cleaning supplies to actual work. I think she just carried them around for conversation's sake. Sure, she would sweep and wipe, but when she left there was still a centimeter of grime on everything. But enough about the maid, let's get back to my favorite subject... Me. Not only do I have 2 televisions, but they are both fully equipped with Tata Sky. I had forgotten the joys of channel surfing. MTV, BBC, VH1, CNN. All my favorite three letter acronyms just begging for my attention. There I was at 2:30 this morning, wide awake from the after dinner espresso I drank, which I really didn't want, but the peer pressure was just too great and so I caved I as I usually do, and I click the channel changer, and there they were. Blossom, Buttercup and Bubbles, AKA the Powerpuff Girls. They were having a dilemma of their very own... There was a burglar in the house they needed to deal with, but the Professor needed his sleep. What were they to do? I was on the edge of my seat for the entire duration. Suddenly it was "Posh, who?"

But between moving all my belongings and settling in for the latest adventures in the city of Townsville, Manuel and I went out to dinner with Chris, Poul and the always blindingly gorgeous Anjali at Torino. We settled in for a great dinner and then Chris had to go and order a bottle of white wine. Bottle after bottle was sent back for being bad and everytime Anjali would tell her to order the Gavi. Chris would smile, ignore the suggestion and out would come another bottle which would meet the fate of previous ones until at long last there was nothing left to order but the Gavi. And it was great. I will never doubt Anjali again. This was my first dinner out after that infamous cucaracha incident at the Hyatt and I kept my eyes peeled for the little guys. Fortunately there were none to be found (or else they hid them better than the Hyatt). I always love being out with Anjali and Chris has a highly infectious laugh that comes easily and often.

After post dinner drinks at Poul and Chris', we were making plans for out next weekend brunches and by 1:30 we were on our way home.

Today will be spent exploring my new area, going to the markets, meeting my new neighbors and perhaps stopping off at the Ivy for a few "welcome to the hood" bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment