Sunday, April 29, 2007

So Sorry

OK, this is really on my nerves. I was flipping through the pages of CNN, looking for any news worth looking at and suddenly I find that Richard Gere is apologizing for kissing some B-list Bollywood actress whose only claim to fame is being insulted during a celebrity Big Brother in the UK… But it doesn’t stop there, Alec Baldwin is apologizing for calling his 11 year old daughter a pig and the state of Virginia has apologized for using slaves to construct a few buildings. This was after an apology for having slaves in the first place. I am not at all an advocate of slavery, unless it is done in the bedroom, involving handcuffs and whipping cream, but we will not be travelling down that pot-holed road at this time.

What I don’t understand is why are people that had nothing what-so-ever to do with certain events apologizing for what happened in the past? And where will it end? Should the Spanish apologize to the America Indians for invading their land in the first place? Should the US apologize to Mexico for stealing California from them? Should women apologize for Eve letting that slippery serpent talk her into eating that apple so long ago, thereby robbing us of our birthright of sitting around naked in a tropical paradise drinking cocktails? Should the 70s apologize for bell bottoms?

All this focus on apologies made it inevitable that I would look at my own life… I hovered the oriental carpets of conscience and let me tell you, my inner maid keeps the place spic and span. Not so much a crumb or remorse… But then again, I have often apologized to myself for not purchasing that Thierry Mugler jacket in Paris about 7 years ago. It still makes me sad when I think about it. I let myself down and have yet to find the path to forgiveness and recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment